The SLMMS Political Advocacy Committee met in early December to draft the Medical Society’s 2022 Legislative Priorities and set the calendar for the development of resolutions. Their report was adopted by the SLMMS Council at their meeting on December 14, 2021.
SLMMS 2022 Legislative Priorities
The top priorities for the St. Louis Metropolitan Medical Society (SLMMS) for the upcoming 2022 legislative session have been developed by the SLMMS Political Advocacy Committee. They include the following:
• Support coverage of mental health issues, including drug addiction as a medical condition, and encourage physicians to acquire greater understanding of the issues involved
• Continue to oppose attempts by non-physicians to manage the practice of medicine, as well as support efforts that protect patients from misrepresentations by health care providers; seek clarification of the definition of surgery
• Protect collaborative practice and the physician-led health care team approach to patient care
• Concentrate on aspects of tort reform laws that remain to be addressed
• Support the extension of Medicaid coverage in Missouri to 12 months postpartum
2022 Calendar for Resolutions
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 – Delegates’ Briefing – 6:00 p.m. via Zoom (RSVP required) – First review of proposed resolutions
Tuesday, February 8, 2022 – SLMMS February Council Meeting – 6:00 p.m. – Second review and Council approval of resolutions
Wednesday, February 16, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. – Deadline to submit to MSMA for inclusion in convention materials
Friday, April 1 through Sunday, April 3, 2022 – MSMA Annual Convention and meeting of the House of Delegates
SLMMS Members – To participate in the January 18 Delegates’ Briefing, contact Dave Nowak, SLMMS Executive Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. The Zoom link and meeting materials will be sent to you via email.