The SLMMS Political Advocacy Committee met on November 2 immediately following the Legislative Update with the MSMA staff to draft the Medical Society’s 2023 Legislative Priorities and set the calendar for the development of resolutions. Their report was adopted by the SLMMS Council at their meeting on November 14.
SLMMS 2023 Legislative Priorities
The top priorities for the St. Louis Metropolitan Medical Society (SLMMS) for the upcoming 2023 legislative session have been developed by the SLMMS Political Advocacy Committee. They include the following:
- Support coverage of mental health issues, including drug addiction as a medical condition, and encourage physicians to acquire greater understanding of the issues involved
- Continue to oppose attempts by non-physicians to manage the practice of medicine, as well as support efforts that protect patients from misrepresentations by health care providers; seek clarification of the definition of surgery
- Protect collaborative practice and the physician-led health care team approach to patient care
- Protect the privacy of the physician-patient relationship from all governmental and non-physician interference
- Concentrate on aspects of tort reform laws that remain to be addressed
- Support the extension of Medicaid coverage in Missouri to 12 months postpartum
- Support efforts that are in the best interest of public health and safety
2023 Calendar for Resolutions
Tuesday, December 6, 2022 – Delegates’ Briefing – 6:00 p.m. via Zoom (RSVP required) – First review of proposed resolutions
Tuesday, January 10, 2023 – SLMMS January Council Meeting – 6:00 p.m. – Second review and Council approval of resolutions
Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. – Deadline to submit to MSMA for inclusion in convention materials
Friday, March 31 through Sunday, April 2, 2023 – MSMA Annual Convention and meeting of the House of Delegates
SLMMS Members – To participate in the December 6 Delegates’ Briefing, contact Dave Nowak, SLMMS Executive Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org to register. The Zoom link and meeting materials will be forwarded to you.