Saint Louis University Health Resource Center Physician Volunteers Needed!
The Health Resource Center (HRC) at Saint Louis University School of Medicine is looking for physician volunteers for the student-run Adult Clinic that runs on Saturday mornings. As a physician volunteer, you would be working with first through fourth year medical students to see and follow up with patients who present to our clinic. Students will obtain the patient history and present it to the physician volunteer, who will then see the patients with the students, formulate a management plan, and review/sign the student-written patient note. The HRC allows students, especially M1s and M2s, to practice their clinical skills and work with amazing faculty.
About the HRC:
The HRC is a fully student-run free clinic housed in North St. Louis that provides both acute and transitional care to patients. We are an interdisciplinary clinic that provides pharmacy, psychology, PA, PT, and medical services (including referrals to SLUCare and performing any lab free of charge at Saint Louis University Hospital) in addition to running specialty clinics such as OB-GYN, diabetes and heart health. We see over 1,000 patients free-of-charge every year, and we also work to get patients insurance coverage so that they can establish care with a PCP.
If you would like to learn even more about our clinic please visit: https://sluhrc.wixsite.com/patient
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Volunteering with the Health Resource Center
What does a typical day look like for the physician volunteer?
• There will be a morning meeting at 8:45AM, which will allow you and all the volunteers to listen to any announcements from the Clinic Manager. You will then head to meet with the Patient Follow-Up volunteers to go over the labs from the previous week and advise them how to best inform patients of their results and next steps. You’ll then work with both pre-clinical and clinical students (M1s to M4s). Students will obtain the history and present it to you. You will see the patients with the students, formulate a management plan, and review/sign the student-written patient note.
What is the time commitment?
• Saturday morning from 8:30AM to 12:30PM. Sign-up for as many or as few Saturdays as you would like to volunteer.
What is the patient population that the HRC serves?
• The Health Resource Center is focused on providing free, quality health care that promotes the well-being of underserved individuals in the St. Louis community.
Where is the HRC located?
• 1408 N. Kingshighway Blvd, Suite 213 St. Louis, MO 63113
Is there malpractice coverage?
• Some employers provide included malpractice coverage that extends to volunteer work. If your employer does not provide malpractice coverage, we will work with you to establish malpractice coverage through SLU.
Please consider volunteering at the Health Resource Center. We are in constant need of physician volunteers and rely on the generosity of physicians and other to continue our mission of serving economically challenged populations in St. Louis. Please contact Maxwell Todd (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested or have any questions.